Could you advise me please?
I need a new phone. A world phone that I can use in Ethiopia, Zambia and Kenya but also in London, Frankfurt, New York and at home.
Why is this so complicated?
There are only a few phones with international capability.
Narrowed down it is really just Black*berry (To*ur) or Black*berry (Bo*ld) or the Ap.ple ip.hone.
So my first questions are about the phones:
1. Do you prefer Black*berry or ip.hone?2. Which keyboard is easier to use?
3. If you have wifi on your international phone does that eliminate long-distance roaming charges? Bo.ld has wifi. To.ur does not. I don't get the difference and why I need to think about it if you can get online either way.
4. I know you can download movies from itunes onto the iphone. Can you do the same with Black*berry? Is it difficult?
5. Can Black*berries text each other for free from overseas?
My second set of questions is about the carrier:
1. Online it says that T-Mo.bile and A.T&T have cheaper per minute roaming overseas. But they don't have extensive coverage in the US. So am I looking at dropped calls?
2. Spri.nt and Ver.izon are our preferred carriers but have higher international roaming rates. Is there a way around this? Can Skype bypass roaming rates if you can Skype from the phone?
Finally I don't understand how the SIM card works overseas. If I buy a "local" SIM card in Addis Ababa for example will I then only be able to make and receive local calls on the phone or will I still be able to call back to the US?
I'm sorry. This is a really boring post for anyone not interested in phones. But I'm really hoping that some of you have either bought an international phone or used yours in Ethiopia and can help me out. And you'll benefit if you stalk the blog and want to see updates and photos in real time when I get there!! Either leave a comment or just email me if you have a lot of details. :)